''The increasing stress involved in motoring nowadays makes the psychological efficiency of the driver a more important factor than the mechanical efficiency of the vehicle he drives'' (Parry, 1968).
....surely the 'psyche' runs the show...Welcome to the ''Psyche Drives''...

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Confession of a Road Rage VICTIM!!

It was just another day...a routine drive back home from University..abiding to traffic rules, minimal horn honking,, enjoying the monsoon not-so-dreary weather..trying to be a civilised driver until the moment I hear an emergency siren and up goes my awareness level!!
What the...Am I blocking an Ambulance path...Is someone loosing on its Golden Hour. It was just an audio signal and without looking back in my  rear-view mirror, I accelerated past a bus hurriedly to clear the way for the vehicle behind me, which I thought was an ambulance, and help it carry the unfortunate person who might be at a critical stage of his life. Lo and Behold, soon i was overtaken by a Maruti with a bogus siren.
I was shocked more than surprised to see this guy who's unlawfully using the aid of an 'emergency siren' only to get across.. was he REALLY asking for a way?
I had a fleeting glimpse of a headphone totting youngster, swearing at me with enraged expressions. Then suddenly he pulled up in front of my car slowing down much to my amazement. He tried to block my way for quite sometime, and when I managed to overtake him, he tailgated me, honking and at time, coming by my side, and pleading with folded hands to me to stop.
This was completely bizarre...on one hand he was trying to shout at the top of his voice verbally accusing, and at another instance trying to request to stop for him. I could not understand his behaviour.
I decided to play cool and keep my calm avoiding any direct eye contact with him, and at one stage, did think of reporting him to any traffic police or PCR but there wasn't any on way.  This ten minute ordeal seemed like ages, and at one stage, I did think of stopping, coming out and thrashing him. That would have been another case of road rage. However, I decided otherwise, and was able to dodge him and reach my destination...safe and sound.
Many of my friends often reported such incidents, but for me, this was my first experience of road rage and stalking.


2 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, the desperation in an Indian males have reached heights!!! Even I've seen guys doing eve teasing to the girls who are either with their husbands or even families..Isn't it pathetic? Our culture is becoming worse to worst!!! The fact is that these guys ain't have any direction or motto in their life, Thanks to their parents for providing them everything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your input Gurpreet. Thats a sad scenario indeed. It wont be correct to blame the parents alone for our behaviour, attitudes and thinking is influenced from innumerable sources.

    ReplyDelete